Last night I joined a weekly chat group called SEO Chat. How? Ever heard of hashtag or seen # in Twitter posts? Every time you add #_________(term here) it hyperlinks your #term and makes it an internal link to a list of everything Tweeted including that tag. You can # sign anything - you just have to make sure you use no spaces between the words. Example:
#SEOchat works, #seo chat creates a hashtag for #seo only. So, if you mean to include multiple words in your tag, mesh them together.
The group Tweets about SEO topics from 6-7PM every Thursday night - and all you have to do to join is use the #seochat tag in your Tweets during that time. Want to listen in? Simply do a search for #seochat instead, it will take you to a list of all Tweets related to that topic.
Last night there was a Q and A session and the topic was Author Rank. To sum it up, content authors on the web are given more credibility when they have a strong social media presence as well.
A few tips/points:
- Using the social platform gives you more credibility then scheduling through a tool.
- Using a tool is OKAY, but real Twitter influencers are using Twitter manulally becuase it's all about responsiveness and direct interaction
- By interacting in real time, you reach two times the audience you would if you scheduled your posts and responded to @ messages later
- Having a bigger audience can help your credibility as an influencer - BUT, you should not using "gaming" tools or think that you are faking anyone out if you have gained followers artificially.
- You should make sure your personal brand is covered on all social media platforms and always register using the same handle or name.
- Personal brands (authors) and company brands (publishers) are two very different things.
- By using Schemas, you can actually develop a system where the company brand gets credibility as the publisher of the content: http://raventools.com/blog/free-schema-creator/
- Just like individual pages give a site a boost, authors give their company brand a boost.
- It's easier to build up a company brand using individual authors when you have several active, influential employees actively using social media as well as authoring blog posts on the company blog
On Thursday, October 27, 2011 Search Marketing Weekly will be hosting our weekly an #seochat on Twitter. And we’re doing something different!!!
Instead of 1 guest, we’ll have 3 guests talking about Google’s latest change to their Analytics data. This will be a 3-person panel talking about why Google made the change and what effects it may or may not have on SEO. Expect an exciting and informational evening!
#SeoChat starts at 7:00 pm Mountain Time (6:00 pm Pacific and 9:00 pm Eastern)
About 1 hour long
Use hashtag #seochat on Twitter
Tim Biden (@timbiden)